Sunday, January 16, 2011

Gluten-Free Parmesan Chicken

My brain works much better when my stomach is full. It seems that keeping it that way is a bit of a challenge, when I'm hungry I get a little distracted. I think I just saw a hummingbird. Warm winters here...

Where was I? I am not the type of person that can eat the same thing each day. While "variety is the spice of life" is a nice thought, I think it's more of a necessity than a spice. It keeps me from that robotic auto-pilot state where time passes and suddenly no one knows what year it is.

I get tired of chicken...but I really like this recipe. Especially with some nice fresh free-range organic chicken.

Gluten-free batters are touchy...it's hard to make them stick. The trick for this one is to leave it alone once you set it down, and don't cover it! Seriously, don't cover it... Unless you REALLY want to make gooey rice-paste clumps. You don't.


PARMESAN CHICKEN
6 boneless, skinless, chicken strips (tenders)
3/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup potato flour (starch)
1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1 egg
1 Tbs warm butter
1 Tbs milk
(Spice options: add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, or some cayenne if you like it spicy. It's also tasty with some fresh herbs like rosemary or basil)

Mix flours, cheese, and spices in a bowl.
Preheat oil (I like sunflower for this) in large fry pan to medium low heat.
Beat egg, butter, milk in separate bowl to form batter.
Dip each chicken strip into batter, roll in flour mix, lay carefully in heated pan.
Fry uncovered slowly on first side until golden brown, being careful not to overheat, about 10 minutes.
Lower heat, turn and fry on second side until brown, about 5 minutes

Tonight we ate this chicken with some brown rice and lightly sauteed tiny brussels sprouts. Squeeze a little lemon over the sprouts, add a dash of salt and pepper, and you're done. Fresh parmesan, too, if you love cheese. Have I mentioned I love cheese?

No comments:

Post a Comment